The Prep Cook will follow the direction of the Kitchen Manager and the Food Services Director. They will prepare all meals according to the recipes and directions provided. They may assist with Living Free meals, Retreat Center meals, JRCO meals and possibly accompany the Kitchen Manager during Retreat Center events. They will keep with the vision of the department and of the church.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
(Applicable to all JRC campuses and Retreat Center)
- Maintain a neat and orderly kitchen that passes Food Services Director inspections/checklists and all Health Department inspections.
- They will work with staff and volunteers that are part of all meal programs.
- Assist with inventory management including ordering, receiving, monthly inventory, food waste and product rotation.
- Assists with the recruiting of volunteers for the kitchen and Food Services Department.
- Assists with the proper training of all staff and volunteers.
- Assists with the preparation of all assigned meals and catering.
- Maintains a clean and properly functioning kitchen by keeping a maintenance/cleaning program in place for equipment and areas.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Assist the Kitchen Manager with kitchen-related duties including cash management and all other functions.
- Follows the direction and guidance of the Kitchen Manager and/or Food Services Director.
- Will help perform the Kitchen Manager’s duties in the event of the Kitchen Manager’s absence.
- Will assist with planning and kitchen operations at the James River Retreat Center. May travel and lodge at Retreat Center during such events.
- Ability to train staff and volunteers to complete assigned duties.
- Willing to follow department guidelines and expectations plus be able to communicate and train the staff to the same level.
- Flexibility in schedule and in being able to work with many different personalities.
- Available for retreats and summer camps held at the James River Retreat Center.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and operations.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Complete understanding of menus and recipes.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality.
- Ability to effectively communicate in a professional manner, both orally and written.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led, and staff driven with board oversight. James River Church staff are expected and considered to share in the responsibility of practicing and propagating the Christian gospel message and upholding the doctrine of the Church (the employer), as stated on our website and in our Bylaws. As leaders and ministers of the gospel, staff therefore agree to the following:
1. Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
a. Daily devotional time with the Lord.
b. Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
2. Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
a. Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
b. Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
3. Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
4. Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
5. Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty, and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
6. Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
7. Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.