Under the direction of the Executive Ministries Pastor / Director of Communications and the mission of James River Church, the Creative Team Director is to provide strategic direction for the creative ministries of James River Church. Additionally, the CT Director will provide professional leadership, management and oversight for the Creative Team and oversee the execution of all church-wide marketing, paying careful attention to maintaining the brand identity of James River Church – in accordance with the style-guide approved by the leadership.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Accurately execute the voice and heart of the Lead Pastors through the creative outlets of James River Church.
- Effectively build, execute and steward the Creative Team annual budget under the direction of the Director of Communication.
- Ensure all areas/personnel in the Creative Team department reflect James River Church culture.
- Maintain and execute the brand identity of James River Church.
- Oversee the execution of the content calendar with specific attention given to weekly Church News and print pieces/video promos to support marketing initiatives.
- Oversee the execution and prioritization of departmental requests
- Oversee the execution of writing, filming/design, editing, proofing, brand compliance, and quality of all content.
- Execute the timeline/communication for the creative process for proofing, executive review, and finalization for all content.
- Maintain the brand identity of James River Church – in accordance with the style-guide approved by the leadership.
- Oversee the execution of maintaining quality relationships and communication between the Creative Team and other departments.
- Oversee the execution of the quality and growth of the Creative Team Dream Team (recruitment, brand/style training, rostering)
- To provide professional leadership and development to each of the members on the Creative Team.
- To assure pastoral care of the employees and volunteers on the Creative Team working to create a positive environment for spiritual formation and growth.
- To work with the Executive Ministries Pastor and the Director of Communications in coordinating a graphically cohesive, congruent JRC message and presence both in the church and in the community.
- To serve at the discretion of the Executive Ministries Pastor as a “sounding board” so that he can make thoughtful and ethical leadership decisions after consultation.
- Perform general pastoral duties as are customary for the James River Church Leadership Team.
- Minimum five (5) years experience working in a professional, fast-paced, business, or church office environment, preferably with an emphasis on creative communications and marketing responsibilities
- Advanced skills in communications, branding awareness, big-picture organizational leadership, and live-event production.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a creative, clear, persuasive and professional manner. May include but not be limited to technical, pastoral, and theological communication inside and outside the church.
- Experience in overseeing a detail-oriented, accurate, and efficient office/team in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Understands live production elements and possesses the ability to take an active role in supporting the live production staff and volunteers in the area of audio, video, lighting, service producing, etc.
- Maintains a working knowledge of and supports the JRC church structure and operation.
- Philosophical understanding of and agreement with the JRC core values and standards of communication.
- Executive management skills and professional experience.
- Proven interpersonal and relational skills, including the ability to interact with strong personalities and leaders without being intimidated.
- Exhibits outstanding judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality and leads the members of the Communications team in developing these areas in their professional and personal lives.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality at all times regarding all forms of verbal and written communication.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Highly proficient in editing and creative software including, but not limited to: Adobe Premiere, Photo Shop, After Effects.
- Have extensive experience in creating story-based videos, event promos, and creative design elements.
- The ability and experience in creating highly produced, world-class commercials and promotions for James River Church productions and events.
- Knowledge of modern office methods and procedures, telephone techniques, and office equipment, as well as English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Demonstrates excellent decision making and problem-solving abilities without immediate and constant supervision.
- Detailed working knowledge of marketing, social media, and advertising.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, co-workers, civic organizations, business professionals, and general public.
- Exceptional marketing and communication ability
- Detail-oriented individual, able to handle multiple tasks concurrently
- Able to collaborate on projects and campaigns within and outside of the church
- High aptitude in strategic planning, technology, and communication
- Able to work under tight deadlines and pressure, maintaining a professional demeanor
- Performs other related duties as assigned and required.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led, and staff driven with board oversight. James River Church staff are expected and considered to share in the responsibility of practicing and propagating the Christian gospel message and upholding the doctrine of the Church (the employer), as stated on our website and in our Bylaws. As leaders and ministers of the gospel, staff therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.