The James River College Director of Student Development oversees most aspects of life on campus for James River College Students. Responsibilities of the Director of Student Development include spiritual formation, student safety, and leadership development.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Assist in spiritual development and oversight of James River College students.
- Coordinating James River College chapel services.
- Enforcing behavior policy and leadership covenant.
- Scheduling student disciplinary meetings.
- Scheduling student counseling meetings.
- Assist in coordination and oversight of student ministry practicums.
- Communication with practicum leaders on.
- Maintain academic standards for practicum.
- Cooperate in the oversight of student leadership development and mentoring.
- Direct report for James River College Resident Directors.
- Oversight for selection and training of Resident Assistants.
- Collect RA weekly reports – send information to the Director.
- Lead Resident Assistant weekly meetings.
- Oversight of student safety initiatives.
- Oversight of James River College Student urgent communications.
- Associates Degree from an accredited College/University.
- 3 years’ experience in student and/or young adult ministry.
- 3 years’ experience leading and managing a team or department.
- A daily walk with Christ and an attitude and lifestyle that reflects this walk.
- A heart to serve God and people.
- An ability to learn and execute technical and production elements involved in the college chapel.
- Flexibility to make small or large changes in procedures, positions, or other areas of ministry.
- A willingness to serve wherever and whenever the need arises, regardless of if it’s in your job description or even department.
- Creativity to help create an atmosphere in James River College that will help the college students experience God in a way they’ll never forget.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of the James River College department and James River Church.
- Ability and strong desire to communicate and assist college students.
- Knowledge of modern office methods and procedures, telephone techniques, and office equipment, as well as English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ability to perform secretarial and clerical duties with speed and accuracy without immediate and constant supervision.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards.
- Capacity to interact positively with and provide service to others at all levels within James River Church.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while meeting critical deadlines.
- Understands social media platforms and maintains a healthy social media presence.
- Exhibit a spirit of unity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, co-workers, civic organizations, business professionals, and the public.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.