The Graphic Designer works with the Creative Team Director in overseeing and developing creative graphic design for the Lead Pastor’s office and church-wide departments served by the Creative Team (all disciplines – print, web, video, etc.). This is a full-time, hourly, non-exempt position at our South campus.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Produces high-quality graphic design, within the James River Church brand, that meets with the approval of the Lead Pastor’s office and church-wide departments under the direction of the Creative Team Director.
- Communicates clearly the strategies behind design ideas and executions while understanding that all graphic design is created to meet the requests and expectations of the Lead Pastor’s office Designer and Creative Team Director.
- Possesses a creative and imaginative aptitude and awareness of current trends in the visual arts and has an understanding of project lead times, deadlines and production capabilities, all of which impact the end result of communicating the Gospel in a clear, concise and creative way.
- Creates visual elements for weekly services, including but not limited to screen graphics, motion graphics, special video graphics, name supers, etc.
- Assists in the design and production of special event design pieces, including but not limited to Vision Sunday, Easter, Men’s Conference, Women’s Conference, Christmas.
- Protects the James River Church brand by creating visually cohesive designs consistent with the James River Church brand. Words that describe the JRC brand include but are not limited to “life, joy, happy, enthusiasm, encouragement,” etc.
- Two (2) years of professional graphic design experience working for a fast-paced business or church; OR
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate the ability to monitor and manage several assignments concurrently, including collaborating with Creative Team staff and church-wide departments in the execution of photography and graphic design projects as assigned.
- Comfortable with and thrives while working under tight deadlines and pressure, maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary and cross-departmental teams to develop concepts, storyboards, creative approaches, etc.
- Skilled in all areas of graphic design and displays a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign.
- Demonstrates an aptitude for learning new computer software programs.
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to help guide, as requested, the work students, volunteers, and interns to create concepts, comps, layouts, and final art.
- Must be a strong team player and take direction well.
- Demonstrates decision making and problem-solving abilities without immediate and constant supervision.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times with regards to phone, email, and other forms of communication.
- Must be detail-oriented, accurate, and possess the ability to handle frequent interruptions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, co-workers and general public.
- Knowledge of modern office methods and procedures, filing, telephone techniques, and office equipment, as well as English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Prefer the applicant have experience using the following programs/computers: Microsoft Word and Excel; PC and Mac.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and required.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.