The Graphic Designer is positioned to work with the Lead Graphic Designer and Creative Team Director in overseeing digital photography and developing creative graphic design for the Lead Pastor’s office and church-wide departments served by the Creative Team (all disciplines including print, web, video, etc.). This is a full-time, hourly, non-exempt position at our South campus.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Produce high-quality graphic design, within the James River Church brand, that meets with the approval of the Lead Pastor’s office and church-wide departments under the direction of the Lead Graphic Designer and Creative Team Director.
- Communicate clearly the strategies behind design ideas and executions while understanding that all graphic design is created to meet the requests and expectations of the Lead Pastor’s office, Lead Graphic Designer and Creative Team Director.
- Possess a creative and imaginative aptitude and awareness of current trends in the visual arts and have an understanding of project lead times, deadlines and production capabilities, all of which impact the end result of communicating the Gospel in a clear, concise and creative way.
- Create visual elements for weekly services, including but not limited to screen graphics, motion graphics, special video graphics, name supers, etc.
- Assist the Lead Graphic Designer in the design and production of special event design pieces, including but not limited to Vision Sunday, Easter, Stronger Men’s Conference, Designed for Life Women’s Conference, Christmas, etc.
- Serve as the lead photographer for James River Church, capturing photos of weekly church services/venues along with special church events under the direction of the Lead Graphic Designer and Creative Team Director.
- Understand how to efficiently and effectively use Canon DSLR cameras and the Adobe Creative Suite on a daily basis.
- Work with current photography volunteers and recruit/cultivate new volunteers to assist with weekly and special event photography.
- Protect the James River Church brand by creating visually cohesive designs consistent with the James River Church brand. Words that describe the JRC brand include but are not limited to “life, joy, happy, enthusiasm, encouragement,” etc.
- Two (2) years of professional graphic design AND photography experience working for a fast-paced business or church; OR
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must provide examples of work. This may be done through links provided on a resume, PDF attachments, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate the ability to monitor and manage several assignments concurrently, including collaborating with Creative Team staff and church-wide departments in the execution of photography and graphic design projects as assigned.
- Comfortable with and thrives while working under tight deadlines and pressure, maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary and cross-departmental teams to develop concepts, storyboards, creative approaches, etc.
- Skilled in all areas of graphic design and photography and displays a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Demonstrates an aptitude for learning new computer software programs.
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to help guide, as requested, the work students, volunteers, and interns to create concepts, comps, layouts, final art and digital photography.
- Must be a strong team player and take direction well.
- Demonstrates decision making and problem solving abilities without immediate and constant supervision.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times with regards to phone, email, and other forms of communication.
- Must be detail-oriented, accurate, and possess the ability to handle frequent interruptions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, co-workers and general public.
- Knowledge of modern office methods and procedures, filing, telephone techniques, and office equipment, as well as English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Prefer the applicant have experience using the following programs/computers: Microsoft Word and Excel; PC and Mac.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and required.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.