Coordination, operation, and technical support, including but not limited to, audio equipment and production, in all James River Church venues throughout the week. This includes all weekly services, special events, and offsite events. The lead audio engineer will recruit, train, encourage and lead audio Dream Team in production. The lead audio engineer will perform research, preparation and practice for best use of production equipment and sound engineering to create an environment to best match the production style desired. To upgrade, install and manage audio equipment in all venues.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- To work closely with the director of Live Production in assuming primary responsibility for the coordination and operation of all audio equipment in the live service venues of James River Church, working closely with the other members of the Live Production team and venue pastors.
- Maintain working knowledge of stage production, set design and following department programs for optimal production effect.
- To play a significant role in the strategic planning of live events both on and off campus, including a defined style for all campus venues, delivery of production plan in advance, ability to evoke the appropriate mood.
- Serve as audio engineer understanding the expectations of the Lead Pastor & Campus Pastor as they relate to mix volume levels, sound preferences, and tonal preferences.
- Coordinate and/or lead set-up and teardown for events on and off campus, as scheduled by the Director of Live Production.
- Coordinate the upgrades, installation, maintenance, organization and repair of all James River Church audio equipment.
- Recruit, train and empower dream team to operate the production equipment in all campus venues. Training programs should include style, team building, spiritual development, technical levels for advancement, and vision casting.
- Understand basic concepts including, but not limited to, electrical safety, soundboards, cabling, circuits, music equipment, lighting and video equipment.
- Attend rehearsals and meetings, as required. Schedule early meetings with set designers and/or other departments for collaboration and planning of services and events.
- Understand and advocate for the Live Production team, including cross-training within the department and communicating the “why” behind the production team in the local church.
- Assist other staff as needs arise and as assigned by the director of Live Production.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Five (5) years of sound and/or production engineer; OR any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Training and/or education in media production, or related field, preferred.
- Relevant experience to assist other areas of the Live Production department preferred.
- Experience in organization and budget management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of sound quality.
- Experience working with DiGiCo SD audio consoles or similar complex equipment.
- Working knowledge of large scale productions and understand the planning and implementation processes of setting up a stage for live and recorded events.
- Solid knowledge of the James River Church departments and events.
- Possess general knowledge of industry standard information of audio for broadcast and live events.
- Working knowledge of organizational, administrative, and budget management practices as demonstrated by their operational experience and/or education.
- A positive example for others through personal integrity, self-discipline and accountability.
- Possess effective human relations and communications skills in order to deal effectively with staff and the community.
- Highly participative relational and communication style, with a team member attitude.
- Issue clear and concise oral and written instructions and follow same as required.
- Good writing and personal computer skills for administration of email, preparation of budgets, correspondence and records.
- Able to make independent decisions.
- Receptive to change and be willing to promote new ideas and techniques and take courses in order to improve the overall operation of the department.
- Maintain and compile accurate records, estimates and reports as required.
- Be organized and attentive to detail.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. James River Church staff are expected and considered to share in the responsibility of practicing and propagating the Christian gospel message and upholding the doctrine of the Church (the employer), as stated on our website and in our Bylaws. As leaders and ministers of the gospel, staff therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.