The South Campus Life Groups Pastor has the exciting opportunity to coach, disciple and equip hundreds of Life Group Leaders. This pastoral team member works closely with the Adult Ministries Director to provide leadership to various ministry efforts that impact thousands of people across all James River Church campuses. In addition to being part of the Life Groups team, this position also provides the opportunity to work alongside the pastoral team in the ministry happening across the entire church!
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
Assist in the oversight of Life Group leaders.
- Periodically meet one-on-one with Life Group leaders to evaluate the status of their groups and provide encouragement and direction for them.
- Be available to meet with leaders who are dealing with situations in their Life Group that need attention.
- Work with other departments (Counseling, Church & Community Care, etc.) to ensure members of Life Groups who are experiencing difficulties can receive the necessary attention.
- Ensure leaders understand and maintain the JRC Life Groups qualifications and commitments.
Assist in the planning and the execution of the Life Group Leaders Conference as deemed necessary by the Director of Adult Ministries.
Plan and implement each Life Group Launch.
- Coordinate with the Director of Adult Ministries for the dates of Life Group Launch.
- Recruit Dream Team to assist with Life Group events.
- Develop a plan to promote Life Group events.
- Develop and implement a process to inform people about Life Group Launch in the weeks leading up to events.
- Help place Life Group Prospects into Life Groups.
- Implement & Monitor online attendance of all groups.
- Oversee changes to group rosters.
- Oversee new prospects.
- Create a monthly attendance report.
- Monitor the groups that do not meet regularly and follow up as needed.
- Determine ways to replenish groups that are low in number.
Recruit Life Group leaders.
- Coordinate with the Director of Adult Ministries for any suggestions of potential leaders.
- Recruit new leaders.
- Contact and meet with potential leaders.
- Work with the Director of Adult Ministries and Creative Services to recruit leaders through promotion (e.g. video announcements).
Oversee new leader training.
- Coordinate new leader trainings.
- Develop materials for the orientation of new leaders.
- Lead new leaders through the orientation process.
- Oversight of each JR campus new Life Group leaders orientation.
- Ensure new leaders are equipped to start a group.
- Ensure all current leaders meet Life Group Leader requirements and have necessary paperwork signed and on file.
Write the weekly sermon discussion guide for Life Group Leaders to utilize & post online.
- Stronger Men’s Conference: Assist in the planning and execution of the annual James River Men’s Conference.
- Men’s Bible Studies: Assist in the planning and coordination of the Men’s Bible Studies at each campus.
- Periodic hospital visitation
- Periodic bereavement visitation
- Bi-weekly Monday night cookie visits to new attendees
2. Attend all church special activities and projects as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor or Director of Adult Ministries.
3. Provide written ministry and departmental reports as requested by the Lead Pastor or Director of Adult Ministries.
4. Complete performance reviews.
5. Assist the Life Groups office in any other office or ministerial duties as deemed necessary by the Director of Adult Ministries.
6. Maintain regular office hours.
- Sunday: 7:30 -3:00pm
- Monday – Wednesday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Thursday: Off
- Friday: 9:00 – 5:00pm
- Saturday: When necessary (i.e. Project Partnership, conferences, Easter, Christmas)
- Pastor on Floor (POF) & Pastor on Call (POC) calls 1-2 times a month
7. Each full time staff member will receive two weeks paid vacation (Only 2 Sunday and 2 Wednesday absences allowed) per year. After serving 5 years at James River Church, the staff member will be eligible for 3 weeks vacation. All vacation dates are subject to the approval of the Lead Pastor. Staff seniority will apply in selection of available dates.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Help in the development and monitoring of the budgets in each of the above-mentioned areas.
- Assist the Director of Adult Ministries in various office duties as deemed necessary for the day-to-day operations of the office.
- Manage the Life Groups calendar and supporting schedules.
- Lead and/or attend various leadership meetings as assigned.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.