The Pastoral Assistant to the James River Church West Campus provides specialized pastoral support for the purpose of aiding the West Campus Pastor in the tasks related to the ministries of the campus. The position encompasses both pastoral and administrative support. The Pastoral Assistant will assist the West Campus Pastor with event management, administrative responsibilities, and logistics planning as needed. This job requires a flexible schedule that will at times necessitate irregular working hours.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
Provide administrative support to the West Campus Pastor by:
- Assist the James River Church West Campus Pastor in the management of his calendar (including the scheduling of appointments, the updating of his Outlook calendar, etc.)
- Assist the James River Church West Campus Pastor in the management of physical and electronic files (including email management, contact management, in-office filing, and the filing of documents electronically).
- All general office duties (correspondence, phone calls, computer tasks, scheduling appointments, mail, email, ordering of supplies, maintaining a filing system, etc.).
- Serve as the initial point of contact for the West Campus regarding the ministries associated with the campus; responds to phone and email inquiries.
- Serve near the West Campus Pastor (being present both in meetings and on the go) for the purpose of notetaking, asking questions, providing follow-up, and ensuring follow through on all relevant tasks.
- Processing purchase requisitions within departmental budget guidelines.
- Receiving visitors and maintaining a customer service attitude in the office.
- Assisting with Dream Team and leader training/events, which includes preparing materials for meetings, entering room needs into the system, running errands as needed, and sending correspondence information to teams.
- Organize and synchronize notes from the various departmental meetings into one Evernote account. The responsibility of updating and curating this account falls to the pastoral assistant.
- Be present at any event or rehearsal the West Campus Pastor attends.
- Assist with social media management (Facebook, Instagram, and other social media presence), including formatting, posting, monitoring, responding, and timely updates.
- Assist the West Campus Pastor by drafting theological responses, documents, and letters as needed.
- Serves as a point of contact for the Adult Ministries Department as well as responds to phone and email inquiries regarding the ministries associated with the department.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Assist with weekly ministry tasks pertaining to the West Campus including but not limited to:
- Ensuring the reception desk is covered, preparing the building for services and events, communicating with other departments to manage booths and promotions at the campus, etc.
- Oversee the management, recruitment, and scheduling of Pastors’ Breakfast Dream Team.
- Assist the West Campus Pastor with recruiting and scheduling of JRC/West Campus Leadership Hosts.
- Assist in providing quality control/preparation for the worship venue in coordination with the Live Production and Atmosphere and Hosting Teams prior to Sunday and Wednesday services.
- Read through sermon notes; make sure Live Production has a copy of notes and all pictures. Proofread notes and pictures before service.
- Oversee the leadership, management, and scheduling of interns/practicum students connected to the office of the West Campus Pastor. This includes delegating tasks assigned to you for the purpose of multiplying your time.
- Assist with logistics of Baby Dedications at the West Campus in coordination with Early Childhood personnel.
Assist in coordinating other special events at the West Campus including but not limited to:
- Men’s Bible Studies, Vision Sunday, Easter Egg Hunt, Baptism Events, New People Party, Community Outreach Events, James River Christmas.
- From conception to clean-up, including but not limited to recruiting and leading Dream Teamers and residents, packet preparation, product detail, registration, manning booths, handling money, etc.
Assist in recruiting, training, communications, processing, and scheduling the following West Campus Dream Team serving opportunities/positions:
- Life Group Leaders.
- Discipleship Teams
- Men’s Bible Study.
- Stronger Men’s Conference.
Oversee the West Campus Life Group administrative processes and data management for the following:
- Prospective and Current Life Group Attendees.
- Prospective and Current Life Group Leaders.
- Prospective and Current Life Group Coaches.
Assist in logistically managing the Men’s Bible Study with the following:
- Creative Team requests, building reservations, content submissions to Creative Team and Live Production, communications to campus leads, weekly distribution of content.
- West Campus weekly setup.
- Rostering and communication with West Campus table hosts.
Assist with assigned Stronger Men’s Conference responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Church Leader communications and follow-up.
- Church Leaders Lunch and Lounge planning, rostering of teams, and execution.
- Two (2) years of secretarial and general clerical experience; OR
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- The nature of this position includes aiding in the management of key church ministries and calls for the ability to, at times, exercise discretion and independent judgment over matters of significance to the organization.
- Knowledge of modern office methods and procedures, filing, telephone techniques, and office equipment; as well as English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Must have leadership ability.
- Must have theological knowledge to provide sound responses.
- Ability to get along well with others and handle confidential matters.
- Ability to manage time and multiple priorities to meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally orally and in writing.
- PC skills including spreadsheet, database query and word processing.
- Must be punctual, pleasant, and tactful with professional appearance and conduct.
- Exhibit professionalism and always maintain confidentiality.
- Capacity to interact positively with and provide service to others at all levels within James River Church.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, coworkers, civic organizations, business professionals, and the public.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while meeting critical deadlines.
- Must have strong analytical skills.
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.